In October 1957, eleven people met and established the Unitarian Fellowship of Huntsville. They requested affiliation with the national organization, and in January 1958 their request was approved. These eleven people were the charter members of what was later to become the Unitarian Universalist Church of Huntsville. We are indebted to them, the founders of our church, for providing a UU presence in North Alabama. For many of us, Huntsville without UUCH would be a very different place.
In the beginning, meetings were held in a rented room at Temple B’nai Shalom. Over the years, the growing congregation moved to Carpenter’s Hall on Governors Drive, the Seventh Day Adventist Church, the Knights of Columbus Hall, the Fellowship House on Clinton Street, and the Steamboat Gothic House on Lowe Street. Finally, in 1978, we moved to the location on Governors Drive, completing a 21 year effort to find a long-term church home.
In recent years, there became a growing realization that UUCH’s needs and goals required a new, larger, more accessible facility and location. After our Jubilee Banquet in 2008, celebrating 50 years of fellowship, the congregation moved forward with a series of workshops and committees to evaluate the type of facility that would support our ambitions for greater congregational growth and visibility. In 2009, the congregation authorized that the Governor’s Drive property be put up for sale. After years of searching, our current location on Broadmor came available and we moved in November 2014.
This new-to-us location is much more accessible and larger than the property on Governor’s Drive and we are enthusiastic about renovating it to become our new long-term home with potential to serve a larger church community.
We currently are a growing, multi-generational congregation of over 150 members involved in a wide variety of activities for learning, spiritual growth, social justice, and fellowship.